Faculty & Staff
Associate Professor & Director of Undergraduate Program
PhD, University of Chicago, 2012
Office: 330 Graham
Research and Teaching Interests
Classical and Contemporary Social Theory
Sociology of Knowledge, Science, and Technology
History of the Social Sciences
Archival and Historical Research Methods
My research investigates how knowledge is produced in social practices and stratified in social institutions, which provides a critical, reflective, and comparative-historical vantage point on interdisciplinary domains including higher education, culture, work, and social inequalities. My current research examines (1) the empirical social processes through which academic reputations and social scientific ideas develop, (2) the formation of higher education institutions, (3) and the diverse insights and resources of pragmatist philosophy for historically-informed social inquiry.
My teaching centers on developing critical thinking and discussion of classical and contemporary social theory and other cultural, political, and historical topics of sociological concern. I view learning as a dynamic social process of inquiry, and I work to structure classes as supportive environments where the diversity of perspectives enriches discussion and challenges students to think critically.
Selected Professional Achievements
- Candace Bernard-Robert Glickman Dean’s Professorship, College of Arts & Sciences, 2017-18
- Rebecca A. Lloyd Distinguished Resident Fellowship, Lloyd International Honors College, 2016-17
- Charles Horton Cooley Award for best publication, Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, 2016
- Secretary-Treasurer of the History of Sociology Section, American Sociological Association, 2017-present
- Network Representative (section officer) of the Education, Knowledge, and Science Network, Social Science History Association, 2015-present
- Huebner, Daniel. 2014. Becoming Mead: The Social Process of Academic Knowledge. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Huebner, Daniel, and Hans Joas, eds. 2015. Mind, Self, and Society: The Definitive Edition. By George H. Mead. Original editor Charles W. Morris. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Joas, Hans, and Daniel Huebner, eds. 2016. The Timeliness of George Herbert Mead. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Peer-Reviewed Articles
Huebner, Daniel. 2016. “History and Social Progress: Reflections on Mead’s Approach to History.” European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy 8(2): 120-142.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2013. “Wilhelm Jerusalem’s Sociology of Knowledge in the Dialogue of Ideas.” Journal of Classical Sociology 13(4): 430-459.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2012. “The Construction of Mind, Self, and Society: The Social Process Behind G. H. Mead’s Social Psychology.” Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences 48(2): 134-153.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2008. “Toward a Sociology of the State and War: Emil Lederer’s Political Sociology.” European Journal of Sociology 49(1): 65-90.
- Chapters and Entries
Huebner, Daniel. 2017. “German Speaking Sociology in the Chicago Archives.” Entry in Handbuch Geschichte der deutschsprachigen Soziologie. Band 2: Forschungsdesign, Theorien und Methoden. Edited by Stephan Moebius and Andrea Ploder. Springer. Pp. 409-412.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2016. “Mead, Dewey, and Their Influence in the Social Sciences.” Chapter in Oxford Handbook of Dewey. Edited by Stephen Fesmire. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2016. “On Mead’s Long Lost History of Science.” Chapter in The Timeliness of George Herbert Mead. Edited by Hans Joas and Daniel Huebner. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2015. “Appendix: The Sources of Mind, Self, and Society.” Chapter in Mind, Self, and Society: The Definitive Edition. By George H. Mead. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2015. “Instinct, History of.” Entry in International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd Edition, Vol. 12. Edited by James D. Wright. Oxford: Elsevier. Pp. 175-180.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2015. “Mead, George Herbert (1863-1931).” Entry in International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd Edition, Vol. 14. Edited by James D. Wright. Oxford: Elsevier. Pp. 831-836.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2014. “Scholarly Publishing Projects in the Great Depression: The Works of G. H. Mead and the Payne Fund Studies.” Chapter in Knowledge for Whom? Public Sociology in the Making. Edited by Christian Fleck and Andreas Hess. Farnham: Ashgate.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2014. “La fabrique de L’Esprit, le soi et la société: le processus social à l’arrière-plan de la psychologie sociale de G. H. Mead.” Translated by Olivier Gaudin. Chapter in La Théorie sociale de G.H. Mead: Etudes critiques et traductions inédites. Edited by Alexis Cukier and Eva Debray. Paris: La Découverte Publisher.
- Huebner, Daniel. 2014. “Bibliographie des œuvres publiées de George Herbert Mead.” Entry in La Théorie sociale de G.H. Mead: Etudes critiques et traductions inédites. Edited by Alexis Cukier and Eva Debray. Paris: La Découverte Publisher.
American Journal of Sociology; British Journal of Sociology; Gender & Society; Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour; Journal of Classical Sociology; Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences; Sociological Theory; Theory and Society
- Seeing Society/Contemporary Theory
- Thinking Sociologically/Classical Theory
- Contemporary Sociological Theory (graduate)
- Sociology of Knowledge and Science
- Science Fiction and Society
- Rumors, Secrets, and Ignorance in Society
- Encounter of Self and Other
- Honors Colloquium